- The population of Internet users in China has exceeded the population of Internet users in the US. Of course this is a very big market for any business who markets their products online. China became the number one in the number of Internet users at the end of February 2008.
- China is the country with the most stringent censorship in the world, no exception to the Internet. Almost all online content distribution is regulated by the government; even they are planning to assign more police to various online media companies.
- The percentage of China’s population with Internet access is higher than the percentage of China’s population without Internet connection, i.e. 50.30% on January 1, 2016. The growth of Internet users in China is the largest in the world, as this giant country had only 225 million users overall in 2012.
- Internet users in China dominate global content deployment, followed by India in second place, and the United States in third position. The majority of Internet users in China (91%) have accounts on various social networks, especially those from China itself as WeChat, Weibo and Youku. Not only that, China is the country with the most broadband connections in the world.
- China has established a strong reputation in the domain “.cn”. This is a strong reason for the importance of using the domain ‘.cn “for anyone who wants to target Chinese consumers online.
- Instead of feeling satisfied with the 4G, China is now making some efforts to launch 5G connection and those efforts supported by all Internet users there since the majority of those users are accessing the Internet via smartphones and tablets.
- The majority of Internet users in China are young people under 40 years old. This implies that the actualization of Chinese younger generation’s activities is strongly supported by the Internet. Based on a rough calculation, 85% of Chinese Internet users are people aged under 40 years.
- Weibo is China’s largest microblogging site
Weibo already has 5 million customers in its first year and has now reached no less than 500 million subscribers. This is a fantastic achievement considering Weibo was just first launched in 2009.
- The largest e-commerce market
China is the largest e-commerce market with a potential of more than 300 million Euros. The growth of e-commerce business is supported by the Chinese government, with an aim to break the dominance of the giants such as eBay or Amazon both based in the United States. Currently, the distribution of various e-commerce products in China is greater than the distribution in the United States.
Baidu is the largest search engine in China, and even get rid of Google’s dominance there. This is the most accessed sites among the Chinese! The site offers no less than 80 million images, and 10 million multimedia files, making it a benchmark in every search. The site is very supportive of Chinese users thanks to its Chinese language-based search feature.